What’s the next step if I want to leave my husband or wife?


First of all, know that we at Perth Mediation Service understand that this is one of the most difficult times in your life. And whilst mediators cannot take sides, we can help you find your way through the dilemmas you now face. Our aim is to allow you to get on with your life quickly, with minimal costs and stress to yourself, children and your loved ones.

If you are thinking about leaving, here are some questions to consider:

  • Do you feel safe in the relationship?
  • Have you been thinking about leaving for quite some time?
  • Is there any chance at all of reconciliation?
  • Are you ready to separate?
  • How much could you save by using a mediator first?

Once you know the marriage or relationship is definitely coming to an end, you may be faced with two options; litigation or mediation. Both processes can be carried out by a lawyer but at considerable expense. For a fraction of the cost an experienced family dispute resolution practitioner can start the mediation process.

Mediators will spend time with you, and then your partner, listening to your particular circumstances and concerns. If suitable, we can then bring both parties together in a non-confrontational manner to discuss parenting and property. And if you’re frightened of your partner because of previous abuse, Perth Mediation Service mediators can even carry out mediations with the two parties in separate rooms, so that you will still be able to take advantage of the mediation process without being forced to seek the more expensive litigation route.

Once we create your unique separation agreement, whether it be a parenting program or a property settlement agreement, the documents can then be used to form the basis of a “consent order” to become legally binding.

We can honestly say that if you’re considering leaving your partner, mediation is the most amicable way to develop the terms a separation agreement. How do we know this? Because we have helped hundreds of couples achieve reasonable amicable agreements on how to co-parent their children and separate their finances.

If you’re in Western Australia and you think we can help you, please get in touch with David on (08) 9300 0674.

perth mediation services contact button